Monday, November 9, 2009

Tropical Storm Ida...


I knew Ida would weaken rapidly with cooler waters, wind shear, and dry air but I'll be the first to say that I'm a little surprised it weakened as fast as it did... I really thought it had a decent shot at still being a hurricane at landfall, but at this point it will only be a tropical storm at landfall... It doesn't look like the NHC will label Ida extra-tropical at landfall which I agree with 100%... Also they now have it as a 55/50 knot TS at landfall which I think it probably going to be close... Again I thought it would be close to 65 knots at landfall (75mph) which is NOT going to be correct!!! At this point I would say around 60mph winds are the highest surface winds we will see with Ida... I was leaning strongly NO on chasing Ida already but obviously this is the nail in the coffin for me... There were a lot of negative factors working against an Ida storm chase but with it not even being a hurricane at landfall there is a 100% chance of me NOT going!!! I'll just be on guard for next year as I'm already in prep-mode for my next hurricane chase! Hurricanes are always 365.25 for me!!! :-)

2 comments:

P.J. Javaheri said...

Sad...i was hoping some posts after you returned from an Ida chase...what's funny is on Saturdays weatherast I talked about you in reference to Ida saying I gotta buddy who may go chasing this!

LDCT said...

Haha... Thanks buddy! Yeah it's still going to have around 60mph winds or so but it's not going to be a hurricane so I can't waste the time and money to go... Hopefully next year will be a lot better... Like I said in my post I'm all about hurricanes/the tropics 365.25!!! Someday you're going to have to come with me after one! You're always welcome to go!