Saturday, October 17, 2009

Loma Prieta 20 Years Later...


Today is the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta 6.9 magnitude "World Series" earthquake... I actually remember this day very well... I was living in Los Angeles at the time watching the pre-game of San Francisco Giants vs. Oakland Athletics world series game-3 when all of a sudden everything went black... You could hear briefly Al Michaels saying we're having an earth-... He didn't quite get out the quake part... Even though I was living in Los Angeles I had no idea the San Francisco area was getting hammered by a earthquake as the San Andreas Fault slipped... Because of the bedrock in California it's not like Memphis (sedimentary soils) where a 6.9 magnitude earthquake would be felt a LONG way away... Fairly soon the news came in and you could see it was VERY BAD!!! Unfortunately 63 people died and another 3,757 were injured leaving thousands and thousands homeless...

I'll leave some links about the 20th anniversary and two amazing slide shows from this historic quake... I'll also leave video links from just after the quake in San Francisco and amazing video during the world series pre-game when the quake occurred at 5:04pm local time... I know it has been said before but there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the world series game saved a LOT of lives... It occurred during rush hour but thankfully most people were either at the game or at home getting ready to watch the game because it was San Francisco vs. Oakland... I can't even imagine how much worse it could have been if it hit during rush hour traffic on a typical Tuesday... Many more people would have died!!!

No comments: