Friday, October 30, 2009

Surprise Storm Chase!!!


Today we had a successful storm chase that wasn't even expected!!! It's funny because that happens sometimes... I've seen a nice wedge shaped tornado before on a see text day so again, it can and does happen... We were under a slight risk, 5% tornado, but honestly I didn't expect much at all today... We didn't see any tornadoes, and who ever did report a tornado near Starkville was BADLY MISINFORMED!!! I understand that people get excited, but when you report tornadoes that don't exist all you do is cause chaos and fear... Also you destroy any tornado database we have with horrible data! How in the heck can you do an accurate tornado research project when your database is corrupted with bad tornadoes??? I know that's part of the game but again please don't call scud, or dust, or even a smoke stack a tornado!!!

We saw a nice wall cloud with a discrete supercell to the west of 25N... I also saw a nice shelf cloud move through MSU's campus and head towards West Point and Columbus, MS... No tornadoes, but still it was a successful chase in my eyes... Saw a lot of nice structure on a day I didn't think I was going to chase... Can't beat that!!! Below is some video from our chase... I was with Michael Carter and Henry Long... I was also with Jon Harris for the first supercell that had a wall cloud... Justyn Jackson, Tim Wallace, and Athena Owen were in another car next to us on the first supercell as well... Again it was a fun and successful chase and thankfully there were no tornadoes, damage, or injuries to the best of my knowledge!!! I think everyone will also enjoy the video, which is titled "Great Plains of Mississippi"... You'll see why after you watch it!!!

No comments: