Friday, November 14, 2008

The Great Plains...

Today I found myself sitting in my office thinking about this years storm chase in the Great Plains... Anybody that knows me understands that my true passion in life is storm chasing... My favorite is hurricanes but I still love tornadoes very much... The challenge of the chase is what really intrigues me the most... It's not like going after a hurricane where usually it's fairly hard to miss... With tornadoes you really need to be on your game with forecasting... Of courses there is luck involved but if you are a great forecaster it will especially show in the Great Plains...

Unfortunately a lot of people rely heavily on the SPC which is ok if that's the way you want to forecast/chase... The thing is the SPC is constantly changing their forecast, so if you're not one step ahead you will fail most of the time... Don't get me wrong, the SPC is great, but I have always believed that I would rather go down because I blew my own forecast then to rely on the SPC's forecast... Sometimes I have been burned bad by it but there have been plenty of times where it played off well...

This year I'm going to be heading Amarillo, TX to chase with my buddy Todd Beal... Many others from LDCT will be there as well like Justyn Jackson, Josh Johnson, and Chris Bell... Hopefully a few others will also be able to make it! It will be good to chase with some of my best friends again... I miss chasing where you go as hardcore as possible for a few days to come back and relax for a few days... No restrictions, deadlines, and schedules... Just all out chasing where you hold NOTHING back... I can't wait because it's been too long since I chased like that... It's time to go hardcore again like we did in 2004... I look forward to the challenge!!! LDCT4LIFE

No comments: