Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Galveston could be in TROUBLE!!!


Hurricane Ike has strengthen today with a pressure of 958mb and 100mph sustained winds... The disturbing thing I have noticed is the fact that Ike has slowed down... Normally this might not be that big of a deal but I'm really starting to think that this slow down is going to make a big difference in the end game of Ike... The slower it moves the more likely the trough will influence Ike later this week which will help pull it north... The models are starting to really show this as well... I will say that you would think a major hurricane in the Gulf would help pump the ridge enough to help it more west... However I'm just worried that it won't matter as much with this initial slower forward motion... I really thought Ike would make it to the Texas coast before getting pull north by the trough, but honestly it's starting to look now that the initial slower motion will help the trough catch Ike causing it to turn more north before landfall... If this does happen Galveston and even Houston will be in a lot of trouble...



I have to say that I believe Ike will make landfall more towards Port Lavaca to Galveston at this time... This is not to say Corpus Christi is out of the woods, but I really do think the trend is north... I actually think there is a better chance of Ike hitting Houston then Corpus Christi at this time! Because of this I think I'm going to leave tonight to head towards Galveston, TX... Two friends of mine are coming with me and I figure we better get a head start since this is going to be a very powerful hurricane! I'll still stick on the southern end and say I expect at least a solid Cat-3 if not a Cat-4 in Port Lavaca Saturday morning... But again I can't stress enough that the trend is north at this time! I'll try my best to post on the blog but probably due to internet issues look for me to post on my LDCT twitter account... I pray somehow this storm is not the monster I think it can and unfortunately will be!!! More updates to come later!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trend towards a more northern landfall in TX has definitely materialized, as Galveston and Houston look to be in line for significant wind and storm surge. Be careful chasing fellas!