Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Wrong Kyle...



OK I know I'm far from a tropical expert but I'm sorry, the disturbance of the Carolina Coast should be named Kyle and the disturbance north of Hispaniola should be named Laura... I'm honestly in shock why the NHC has not named the system off the eastern seaboard... There was a 3 degree temperature rise across the center and it even has an eye now! Without a doubt those are both clear characteristics of a warm cored system... I understand the NHC still says there is time for it to become tropical in nature but why do you then drop a dropsonde in the quote "eye"... That point was brought up by Joe Bastardi earlier today and honestly it makes a LOT of sense... If it's not tropical then why do you say it has an eye??? Very confusing to me and honestly I think it's just plain wrong... I especially think you will see that it's a tropical cyclone when it makes landfall later tonight. As it's cut off from its heat source (warm ocean water), you will see rapid weakening with this tropical cyclone... Again that is a CLEAR sign it's tropical in nature... Baroclinic systems don't do that!!! Either way the Carolina's are already getting battered with tropical storm force conditions... Expect those conditions to continue through the night and improve greatly tomorrow morning as the no name tropical storm transitions back to an extra tropical system...



Tropical storm Kyle is basically moving north of Hispaniola at 8mph... It will continue to speed up and strengthen as it moves towards the Canadian Maritime... Most of the models show Kyle missing the US entirely except for the Canadian and European which takes Kyle into Maine... We will have to watch that closely as there usually tends to be a right bias with tropical cyclones in the Atlantic... Even if it does strike Maine it should only be a minimal hurricane... Considering some of the powerful Nor Easters Maine gets, I'm not too worried about the possible effects! I'm going to give it another 24-36 hours before I can say for sure where Kyle is heading... Personally I think it's going to either hit Maine or just miss it to the right... Currently I'm a little left of the NHC's track!

No comments: