Thursday, September 17, 2009

Southeast Severe Storms Symposium


Today was the beginning of the 8th Annual Southeast Severe Storms Symposium... It's hard to believe I was at the first one in 2002... We have come a LONG way since then and it's great to see how our department has progressed operationally... We have been and will always be great in broadcasting, but again we have come a long way operationally in the last 10-15 years... That was the purpose of the first symposium which Ryan Wade helped start get into motion in 2001... It's a great idea and I hope to see it continue over the years...

Like always there are plenty of great talks, but I really enjoy Dave Freeman talk about Greensburg, KS... He was on-air in Wichita, KS doing wall to wall coverage of the EF-5... There were actually 4 "super" tornadoes that night and ironically Greensburg was not the largest of the four... I believe the Greensburg tornado was about 1.7 miles wide but there was another monster tornado just to the north and east of Greensburg about 2 miles wide... Thankfully that tornado stayed mostly over farmland... Dave gave a GREAT talk and it was awesome to see someone that cares so much for his viewers... There is NO DOUBT he does this because he loves it! Not being on TV, but having the opportunity to save lives... And that's the ultimate goal...

I'm also going to try to get the Argonia, KS tornado video up tonight... I would have earlier but things have been really busy... Again though I'll try to get it up late tonight and if I don't for some reason, I'll get it up tomorrow no matter what!

8th Annual SSSS Agenda...

No comments: