Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Southeastern Geographer...


I was just going to let everyone know that one of my Hurricane Charley pictures made it on the cover of the Southeastern Geographer... For anyone that is interested, the Southeastern Geographer is a great weather journal I think everyone into weather would enjoy reading... You will find lots of great weather/climate publications! My photo is in Volume 49, Number 2: Summer 2009 (Florida: Bellweather of the South)... I'll leave a link to it below...

Funny enough the photo they chose is by far the best picture I have ever taken in my personal opinion... There is nothing fancy with it as I shot it with a basic waterproof disposal camera... In a way it almost made it look better! Sometimes simple is best with weather! Honestly, I just got lucky capturing the worst of Hurricane Charley with a single picture!!! I would say the winds were around 150mph at the time of the photo... Just minutes later the eye went directly over our heads in Port Charlotte, FL (On southeastern side very near Charlotte Harbor)... The wind gauge across the street at the hospital reportedly blew off at 173mph... While it's true that pictures can speak a thousand words, when dealing with a major hurricane no single picture can truly capture the incredible power/force associated with it! However this particular picture did a decent/OK job of it!!!


Below is the black and white copy of it used in the journal...


Southeastern Geographer Link

No comments: