Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hurricane Donna...


Today was the 49 anniversary of the landfall of Hurricane Donna in the Florida Keys and SW Florida... You typically don't hear a lot about Donna, but in my opinion it's a VERY under-rated hurricane... In its day it was known as one of the strongest hurricanes in US history... But I guess after Carla, Camille, Hugo, Andrew, Charley, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, Ike, etc, it has been lost in the long line of historic hurricanes... Instead of me describing every detail, I'll leave you a few great links to very interesting websites on this very powerful hurricane... I will say Hurricane Donna still to this day holds one amazing record... Donna holds the record for retaining major hurricane strength (Cat-3 and higher) for an astounding 9 days! From September 2nd 1960 through September 11th 1960, Hurricane Donna NEVER dropped below Category-3 status which is just unbelievable to me... Donna first ravaged the Florida Keys and SW Florida as it continued up the eastern seaboard making two more landfalls in North Carolina and New York... If you like historical weather then I think you will enjoy the links!!!

No comments: