Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Conway Springs Tornado Video-2


Here is the second and final video from the Conway Springs, KS Tornado... Again the video speaks for itself... UNREAL TORNADO!! It's funny I hear a lot of people hate on someone like Reed Timmer... Does he push the limit, of course he does... But you know what that's his thing and I have respect for him... I never root against anyone out there in the Great Plains! All I can control is myself and how I forecast, but at the same time I'm not in competition with anyone but myself... And that's how I look at it with Reed... If he wants to get that close than I say go for it buddy... Hey you can't doubt his forecasting abilities and honestly I just think a lot of people are jealous... I mean look how many tornadoes he has been on!!!

While I don't usually get as close as Reed I definitely don't see the point of watching a tornado from 2 or 3 miles away... Again just my opinion but you don't really feel the true force of the tornado until you get about 1/2 mile away... I'M NOT SAYING THAT IF YOU ARE NOT A TRAINED EXPERIENCED CHASER YOU SHOULD DO THIS!!! However for me and my style of chasing this is the goal... When I'm out in the plains I'm in the business of finding tornadoes... Of course I'm also out to have a good times with my friends, but again the BUSINESS IS TORNADOES!!! People have stole this saying from me before, but you win some and you lose most when it comes to chasing... That's why when you get that opportunity you better go all out, because you might never get another opportunity like the one presented before you ever again!!! NOTHING IS GUARANTEED IN LIFE... Just look at the Conway Springs, KS tornado... If we were a mile or two away I would be like yeah that is some good video... But when you're inside a 1/2 mile for most of it I would be like DAMN THAT'S SOME AMAZING VIDEO... Again just my personal opinion but it's the way I usually try to chase... It's the LDCT way... Not being dumb, but being tactfully aggressive...

I want to say that my good friends Tim Wallace and John Walker were with me during this amazing event... It's funny when you go through things like this with someone, you form a type of bond that no-one can understand or break... Also I wanted to add one more thing... Justyn Jackson (aka mini Doswell) really helped us a lot on this event... This is before the days of iphones and internet cards (at least for us) so his radar analysis really helped us! Justyn at one point told us to go down the road, turn left and look right and you should see a tornado... What do you know, we went straight down the road, turned left and looked right at the Argonia, KS tornado... AMAZING!!!

I'm actually going to post the Argonia, KS tornado video tomorrow or Wednesday... This is another 1/2 mile wide tornado we saw about 30 minutes before Conway Springs... At one point 3 tornadoes were on the ground at once... The crazy part is we had to break off the Argonia, KS tornado to get on the Conway Springs, KS tornado... Again tactfully aggressive chasing... If you don't risk it you're not going to get rewarded... Thank God we did!!!

Also thank God this tornado only hurt one person... The Weather Channel actually did a storm stories of this... A lady who was holding onto her toilet was ripped from her house and tossed about 1/2 mile in the air... She was beat up pretty bad but some storm chasers found her and saved her life... The house was completely gone... It was only ranked a F-3 because of the structural integrity of the houses hit... It was actually heading straight for Conway Springs (without any tornado sirens going off) when it turned right just in the nick of time! Thank God too, because we were screaming at people to go inside their house as this MONSTER was heading towards them... You'll see in the video that we were doing EVERYTHING we could to warn the citizens of the possible immanent danger coming their way! If it would have hit the main town it probably would have been at least a F-4 if not possibly a F-5... I thank God almost everyday that didn't happen!



Remember 193 tornadoes in less than 2 full days!!!




© Greg Nordstrom 2004

ANY USE OF THIS VIDEO WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM GREG NORDSTROM IS PROHIBITED AND WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW...

4 comments:

Ryan Aylward said...

Amazing videos my friend! I hope we can get some good chase days this coming spring.

LDCT said...

Thanks buddy! I hope we do also... It will be fun to chase together again... The last time I chased anything worthwhile was Hurricane Ike! WAY TOO LONG AGO!!!

Ryan Aylward said...

This is getting my ready for the next season! I can't wait! Here is something from the NWS on these tornadoes:

At 842 PM, the first of two F3 tornadoes, possessing rotational velocities of 160-205 mph,
menaced Conway Springs. Starting 3 miles south-southeast of Conway Springs, the 600-yard
wide monster leveled 15 farm dwellings and service buildings, destroyed 25 pieces of farm
equipment, many miles of transmission line, and rendered the wheat crop an almost total loss.
The twister slammed into several homes along Highway 49. One modular was completely
removed. A woman in her mobile home was thrown an unspecified distance. Fortunately, she
survived. Total damage: $1.78 million to property, $100,000 to crops. Damage path length: 2.5
miles. At 852 PM, the 2nd F3 struck 2.5 miles east-southeast of Conway Springs. Possessing a
track 2.5 miles long and around 500 yards wide, this beast caused $1 million damage; the
majority to two homesteads.

LDCT said...

Ryan thank you for that! I had no idea it hit more things than the lady's house... It really is a miracle she lived!!! Thank God the tornado missed the main town because it would have been VERY BAD!!! As we were heading away from the tornado there were multiple people outside just looking at it... No sirens at all...