Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hurricane Rita Video...


I decided to put up some Hurricane Rita video I shot from Orange, TX on September 23rd and 24th 2005... Even though most is at night some of the video I shot is quite amazing... Especially the shots of lightning and thunder being able to be heard over Category-3 winds... Rita may quite possible be the most underrated hurricane of all time, mainly because it followed the heals of Hurricane Katrina... Check out storm damage photos from Cameron, LA and really all of Cameron Parish one day... NOTHING WAS LEFT!!! The damage was actually worst than when Audrey hit in 1957... And that's saying a lot! The power of water is INCREDIBLE!!!

Ironically the next day after making it back to Starkville, MS a remnant feeder-band from Rita produced a mesocylone induced tornado on the campus on Mississippi State University... I lived just off campus back then (Chadwick Place) and this F-1 tornado took a direct strike on my apartment... I was with Josh Johnson and Matt Miller, and honestly it's something I'll never forget... Thank GOD it was only a F-1 or we would have been in serious trouble... It was moving over 50mph so there was almost no time to react... No sirens went off either!!! There was some minor damage but again we got LUCKY!!! Experiencing a direct hit (eye) from a historic Category-3 and then to be hit by a F-1 from that same hurricane the next day was a CRAZY experience!!! Below is a storm reports page from SPC of Hurricane Rita's tornado outbreak across Mississippi and Alabama...


(Read down a little and you'll see Dr. Brown's report from MSU)

(I apologize for some bad language in the video! There are no excuses but it's tough sometimes when things get crazy in a hurricane! However I wanted to give everyone fair warning... It's not horrible but there are a few bad ones I let slip... I've gotten much better over the years! Sorry again!!!)




© Greg Nordstrom 2005

ANY USE OF THIS VIDEO WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM GREG NORDSTROM IS PROHIBITED AND WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW...

No comments: