Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hurricanes on the mind...

Here is an amazing chase recount of Hurricane Andrew by Richard Horodner! For those of you that have never heard of him, he's one of the more famous hurricane chasers ever... I think Jim Leonard has him beat on total hurricanes/typhoon's, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Horodner has Jim beat on US landfalling hurricanes... Either way, this guy is HARDCORE!!!


The whole thread is amazing stuff... Read down to Mike Theiss where he talks about the winds blowing down to the ground and dispersing out during hurricane Charley.... One person says he thinks it will be upgraded one day to a weak Cat-5, but like Mike I think it was very close but not quite there... Another couple hours over the water and I think it would have been a Cat-5... It was probably only 5-10 mph short in my personal opinion... The winds really were 145-150mph sustained for awhile... In my life I have NEVER seen anything like it!!! Also I can't believe were coming up on the 5 year anniversary! WOW, time sure fly's!!! For a great account of Charley, click on the link below and scroll down to Evan Brookbinder's account/insight!


Here is links to Richard Horodner's and Jim Leonard website's... They are two of the greatest when it comes to hurricane chasing! My goal is 100 hurricane intercepts before I die (Only 89 away) or a direct hit from a Category-5.... That's the only way I stop before 100...


I'll leave you with a link that my buddy Chris Bell sent me a few days ago... A very good read on lightning and hurricane intensity... I have seen lightning quite a bit in major hurricanes like Katrina and especially Rita... I'll never forget as long as I live seeing lightning strikes less than 1/2 mile away from us in Orange, Texas in the pitch black to see the entire sky light up and being able to hear thunder over 125mph + winds... This went on for about 30 minutes or so as the northern eyewall came ashore... One of the coolest and also craziest things I have ever seen in my life!

No comments: